A Publication for SSA Students by SSA Students

The Nest.

The Nest.

Looking Ahead:
  • Review Day/Junior Leadership/2:00 Dismissal - May 17
  • Ring Mass - May 17
  • Final Exams - May 20-23

The Nest.

The Nest.

The Art of Procrastination

Image by Psycom.net

Procrastination, which is defined as the act of delaying or postponing something, is often seen as nothing more than delaying the inevitable. But many see it (as they should) as an art form. There are many different ways to successfully procrastinate, which will be discussed in this piece in as much detail as possible.

Do Nothing

………………….

…………..……………

See! It’s that easy! Doing nothing is one of the many ways you can procrastinate. If you do nothing, then nothing gets done, which is the point of procrastination.

Zone Out

Whether this is done while listening to music, staring out the window, staring down your house pets or the classic wall stare, zoning out is another brilliant method to delay your tasks. Doing this pauses any thoughts you may have about any work to finish, and replaces it with absolutely nothing (which is the goal). 

Do Something Else

One of the ways to prolong having to do one thing is to do something else. Distraction is key to this method. In order to forget about the thing you’re supposed to do, you do something nobody asked you to do. Acting on this deliberately will still give you something to accomplish, but not the thing you don’t want to accomplish.

Scrolling on your Phone

Nothing says “I’m prolonging the inevitable” quite like scrolling mindlessly through your phone. Cellphones are often praised as tools that are able to give infinite knowledge with the touch of the screen, but they can also be used as tools of mass distraction. Phones provide an infinite stream of content, perfect for scrolling through and eating up any time you would use to be proactive.

Napping

Napping is another flawless method of procrastination. It’s a lot like sleeping, but instead of at night, you do it during the day. Not only do you get a good rest in the middle of the day, you also have a plausible reason as to why you didn’t do what you were supposed to do. All you have to say is “I took a nap,”and any issue caused by not doing what you were supposed to do is immediately fixed (mostly).

In Conclusion

Procrastination, in its many forms, is a helpful tool to utilize when you’re trying to avoid a task you just don’t want to do. Doing this effectively makes sure that you never do whatever job you were meaning to get done. Overall, it is best to use procrastination when you are in dire need of not doing something you don’t feel like doing. Laziness and delaying deadlines are the keys to the art of procrastination.